Applying for a Diversion


You are eligible to apply if you are a first time offender with the exception of traffic citations. For traffic citation eligibility see Speeding / Miscellaneous Traffic.

To apply for diversion on Driving While Under the Influence or Possession of Marijuana, you must first obtain an alcohol and drug evaluation and submit it along with your diversion application.

A $25 non-refundable application fee is required at the time the application is filed. Payment submitted by mail or in person must be paid by money order or cashier's check, payable to the Butler County Attorney (no personal checks). The application and application fee may also be submitted online.

If you are applying for a diversion, do not pay the fine.

If you are ineligible to apply, but do so, your application will be denied and you forfeit the application fee. Read the information sheet for your specific diversion you are applying for before submitting your application.

Applying for a Diversion

If you want to apply for diversion, taking into consideration all of the preceding information, you must fill out the application completely, and pay the $25 non-refundable application fee. If your application is accepted the application fee will be applied to the diversion fee.

Submit your application and application fee by mail or in person to Butler County Attorney's Office. Applications may also be submitted online, along with the $25 application fee. A small surcharge will be assessed to each transaction.